About Me

New York, United States
Mommy,wife, homespun enthusiast and excessively mouthy.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Adventures in babysitting.

I LOVE being a stay at home momma. However, I didn’t realize when I left work, I wasn’t the only one who lost something. My daughters were enrolled in a small private in-home childcare center. Each day they ate healthy meals, sang songs, played games and learned knew things. I had never thought of the effects it would have on them when I left my job. The only thought I had was they were young and needed to be with me. Holy goodness was I wrong. Being a stay at home mom may look easy from the outside, but I’m here to tell you this is NOT the case. Have you ever really took into consideration what you feed your child on a daily basis? Take a peek at state nutrition requirements for a child care facility, it will amaze you. Also, are you able to stay calm and confident with each - “but mom….not fair… and I want” conversation you have with your 1-5year old? Or how about having a play date at your casa with the patience of job? Not only had I already failed as my families nutritionist by breakfast of my first day, I was also struggling to adapt to my new adventure.
 
On top of feeding and managing my little ones I was also struggling to keep house, run errands and dress myself. By lunch I was wondering what the hell I got myself into. The house that stayed clean all week while we were at work and daycare is now covered in toys, sippies and blankies. My bills and mail I organized everyday at my 11am union break where being used as coloring sheets and my fancy wardrobe was exchanged for sweatpants.
It took me over month to get a routine down. I scavenged thru parents magazines and websites, braved play dates and exchanged my hip contemporary music for a Barney and Wiggles discography. I was headed for success, But that train too came to a screeching halt. I had forgotten one little thing, where was I in all of this? And how do I get me back?
Do I run screaming my goodbye out the door the moment my husband gets home to get a little “me” time? Or maybe take Saturdays and Sundays off like I did at work? Just in case you were wondering Kennedy and Abigail do not offer personal or vacation days in their benefit packages. Nor do they care that you have not had an adequate amount of anything before they demand your attention.
I’m sure you all are thinking that I’m the worst stay at home mom ever and I should go beg for my job back BUT I’ll tell you what -Being able to see your child make tiny or even monumental milestones on a daily basis is worth every chaotic second. Being a stay at home mom isn’t the hardest nor the easiest job and I’m certain I’m not the only one who struggles. The moral of the story is, always remember your preparing your little one to become a functioning member of society. Instill good values, find programs that can teach your kids what you cannot, leave room for mistakes and take time to be the best you can be. If that means hiring a “professional” for the day - do it. You are useless to your children when you’re a miserable mean momma. Or in our house what we refer to as a “hot mess”
 
“Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing up is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing” ~Phyllis Diller

No comments:

Post a Comment