About Me

New York, United States
Mommy,wife, homespun enthusiast and excessively mouthy.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Laundry room tips!

I’m a bit of a freak when it comes to the laundry room. I spend numerous hours of my week sorting delicate items, soggy army gear, colors, whites and kids clothes. I also have to stock up on detergent, stain remover, bleach and woolite. If any of you are like me you know these items can be expensive.  Here are a few tips to help you save time and money!


  • Shampoo, is a great substitute for delicate fabric detergents. With cold water and just a pea -size amount your delicates get clean. Even though I have a “gentle cycle” on my machine most of my delicates are washed in the sink and hung dry. Skipping the machine saves water and electricity. Unless you have a full load of delicates, the sink works just as well. 



  • Just because it cost more, doesn't make it better. Try using a cheaper detergent. I normally buy whatever is on sale. Many detergents are created equal. Next time your shopping check for yourself. 



  • Try finding a detergent with a stain fighter in it. If you pay a few bucks extra for this you usually can skip the spot remover all together. Pouring a small amount of your stain fighting detergent on soiled spots and it works as a spot remover.



  • Fabric softeners, can be tricky. Always look for coupons and store brands as they tend to be less expensive.  I keep a bottle of liquid softener as a back up to my fabric sheets in-case I run out. Nothing worse than static cling! 



Hope these help!

C.Ferreira

No comments:

Post a Comment